In 2006 Pioneer Cemetery became the first municipally designated heritage site in New Glasgow. This site is located off Stewart Street and near the South end entrance to the Pioneer Trail. The cemetery, also known as Founders Cemetery and the MacGregor Cemetery, contains graves dating back to the late 1700s. It is the resting place for some of the founders and earliest settlers of New Glasgow including Reverend James MacGregor, the first Presbyterian Minister to the region. Entrepreneurs James Carmichael and George Argo who established the first trading post are also buried here. The cemetery is also the final resting place of some of the early settlers who arrived directly from Scotland in 1773 aboard the Ship Hector.

Pioneer Cemetery Panel

Interpretive Panel Unveiled September 28, 2013

Pioneer Panel web

Councillor Clyde Fraser & Mayor MacMillan unveil the heritage panel.

Pioneer Panel web 2

"Friends of the Pioneer Cemetery" Committtee Members cut the ribbon at the new gate. (Left to right: Lynn MacLean, Kim Dickson, Philip MacKenzie, Mayor MacMillan, Bob Spurgeon, Murray Biggar, Cheryl Young, Clyde Fraser. Missing from the photo is Chair, Clyde Macdonald)

Pioneer Panel web 3

Visitors to the Pioneer Cemetery view the newly restored stones.