ng1The New Glasgow Town Hall was commissioned by Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, as one of a series of Post Offices and Custom Houses to be built across Canada. The post office project established 78 buildings across the nation, each becoming the physical cornerstone of their communities.

Thomas Fuller, Canada’s chief architect, designed this building. The “Fuller style”, which came to by synonymous with adjectives like grand, impressive and dominating, is very much on display in the New Glasgow building. Builder Donald Grant was at the peak of his career when he built the former New Glasgow post office and is known to have constructed numerous churches across Nova Scotia. Construction of the building, the first in a new national series built in Nova Scotia, began in 1884 during the tenure of Adam Carr Bell, the Town's first mayor. Construction was completed by autumn 1887 at a total cost of $43,285.61.

Located at 111 Provost Street, the Town Hall is constructed of red and beige sandstone and ironstone. It is a mixture of Second Empire and Romanesque architectural styles. Until about 1960, this building operated as the Town’s Post Office and Customs Office and for a short time, the courthouse. The Town of New Glasgow bought the building after the old Town Hall was severely damaged by fire in 1957. The New Glasgow Town Hall remains the most statuesque building in the Downtown core.

ng2